Today is the last day we spent in Haiti. We didn’t really do much we just finished packing and most of us were trying to finish up our journals. Some of us however went on a small tour of Port-au-Prince and went to the top of a mountain to get a great view.
Being in Haiti I have learned a bunch of different things. Zamni Lasante does a bunch for this country to try to help better itself. By trying to be self-sufficient and not relying on foreigners to run the programs. It helps the push the people to be able to do things on there own instead of having people come in and do all the work for them. It was great to see, and it proves the point that the news exaggerates the truth.
This was by far one of the greatest trips I have taken. I was very skeptical at first, but after being here 2 weeks I feel very comfortable in Haiti. I definitely see myself coming back sometime in the future. Hopefully I can speak kreyol a little bit better by then.
There are a few tips I want to let y’all in on, if you ever plan to go to Haiti:
1. When in Haiti you are on island time. So if you are supposed to go do something at 8:30 am, you will probably be leaving closer to 9am.
2. Driving in Haiti is a lot different from the states. There are no rules to driving, just suggestions. But a person could still get pulled over and get a ticket for wreckless driving.
3. Whatever plans you make, they are alway subject to change.
4. Get a lot of hiking practice in before you come. Go take a couple 4 to 5 hour hike in the Arkansas mountains, since Haiti is know for the mountains it has.
5. It’s always nice to keep a Haitian with you. For us, having Marie Flore and Victoria around it made things easier and people don’t try to overcharge too much for things. Also they know all the great places to go.
6. Be expecting to be swarmed by people trying to sell you things. They are just trying to make a living and they do understand what no means if you don’t want to buy anything.
7. Try to manage your time well, so you can enjoy the beautiful scenery Haiti has.
8. Lastly the best advice is something that Mrs.Jackie told us. You have to have a high-tolerance for frustration, a good sense of humor, and have a strong stomach.
For the last update on everyone,
We all made it back to the states safely.
Lauren and Joanna have become inseperateable.
Angie is a shapeshifting animal that could be a seal,mermaid,goat, and probably a few other ones.
Ninja, Chantel, and Star have really emersed themselves in the culture here to the point of being confused for Haitians.
Ryan and Jordan have almost finished all the books they brought with them.
Heather got her exercise in most days.
Ericka is now fluent in 4 languages.
Eli brought the sexy back
Ashley is still being super chill with the mermaid she is bringing back.